Friday, September 25, 2009

The Church of Chai.


Some say that breakfast is the most important way to start the day. While I always eat and enjoy breakfast, I believe two of my friends had starting a day pinned to a T.
Joani and Sundar, a married couple very dear to me, arose every morning to make chai while the sun dawned. In their house, food, friendship and company were held in very high esteem. After the sun was up, friends from around town would arrive at their front door for the amusing environment coupled with fantastic chai to start of their day.
In this household, there were three main staples: morning chai, political rantings, and amazing food. The way I figured, if I showed up to their house not too late, but certainly taking my time, I would appear in time for chai while getting the first of the lunchtime food.
After a while of this tradition, their house became known as the Church of Chai. Whether having a true significant meaning or not, in my head, I always thought of their house as a place of worship for beverage, food and fine company.

Working as a barista at a few local coffee joints for 5+ years, I have been able to make/play with a lot of chai. While chai is perfect served as-is heated in a mug, there are many other creative things one can do with chai. I will extend a few ideas: serve the chai over a little ice, mix the chai with ice cream for a different type of milkshake, serve the chai mixed with a shot of espresso and a dash of cinnamon (yum!), use chai in place of milk in desserts or other beverages, such as a cafe au lait, and finally, a chai popsicle.

P.s. Just a fun fact-- chai in Hebrew means living.

Nepali Chai

2 Cup Water
4 Whole Cloves
1 Stick Cinnamon
4 Cardamom Pods
4 Tbsp Sugar
4 Tbsp (4 Tea bags) Black Tea
2 Cup Organic Whole Milk/Half and Half
(Optional: I like to add some fresh ginger root to my tea...)

1. Mix water, whole cloves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods into a sauce pan/tea pot and bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat to low, allowing the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Steep the tea powder for 1 minute in the water mixture.
3. Add the milk and heat or another minute, being very careful as to not boil the mixture. When hot, add the sugar.
4. Stir and keep hot or strain and serve immediately.

Yeilds: 4 cups

1 comment:

Lisa T said...

What a great way to start the day!